Industrial diseases

Industrial diseases span a variety of occupations and usually come about due to long-term exposure to hazardous materials. They can include:

  • Asbestosis and pleural plaques caused by exposure to asbestos
  • Asthma caused by dust and other airborne materials
  • Deafness or Tinnitus

If you think you are suffering from an industrial disease then you should make a personal injury claim with the help of a lawyer. Call us and we can recommend a personal injury lawyer specialised in industrial disease claims to handle your case.

Asbestos claims

Industrial diseases include diseases contracted from the inhalation of asbestos dust. Asbestos dust inhalation can cause mesothelioma, which is a type of cancer which often leads to death.

These types of cases have caused much debate in recent years, as often employees who had become ill because of mesothelioma or other lung diseases were unable to claim compensation because:

  • They had worked in a number of roles where they inhaled asbestos dust
  • It could not be shown which employer had caused the disease

Although this area of law has changed rather a lot in recent years, the enactment of the Compensation Act 2006 now allows for a claimant to sue one employer and allows that employer to sue other employers for their contribution to the disease. In order to do this you must use solicitors.

Industrial disease claims do not always need to be this serious or complex, although any claim will benefit from the involvement of solicitors. Claims should be settled outside of court if possible, and the appropriate settlement amount must be determined.

Industrial disease claims must also be made in accordance with strict rules and protocols, and failure to adhere to these can see your damages reduced.

Claims process

If you have an industrial disease because of your workplace, solicitors can make claims against your employers requesting that they compensate you for the loss you have suffered as a result of the disease you contracted during your employment.

There are numerous industrial diseases that can be contracted from employment and as an employer owes a duty of care to their employee the employer can be sued; most commonly with the assistance of industrial diseases solicitors.

Any process will start with visiting a doctor. If you are diagnosed with having an industrial disease such as the above you should immediately contact a lawyer. Industrial disease cases have a history of being long and drawn out, particularly when concerning asbestos inhalation against multiple employers.

Industrial disease claims are likely to be settled before they get to court. Even if you cannot agree a settlement with the other side, you must attempt to settle or risk having your damages reduced at the end of the case. If you are unsure if you are still within the statutory time limit to bring a case, it is advised to seek legal advice at your earliest convenience.

If you have had a different kind of accident at work, see our information page on workplace accidents.

We have award-winning lawyers throughout the UK, ready to assist with your case. Fill in the form and we'll be in touch.

Important information

For [selected AoL] law, solicitors will charge a minimum fee of £250 to provide an initial consultation and written opinion on your case. We have a number of recommended law firms in our network who could provide this service to you at the most competitive price. If you would like to proceed, click ‘Paid advice’ below and one of our advisors will call you on a free-of-charge basis to discuss this further with you.